Saturday, February 23, 2013

Ramen Underground, SF + A Culinary Equation

It's been cold. It's been rainy. Then there's sun. Then there's more rain.


Typical Bay Area weather. Unpredictable and if you're not dressed properly (ahem, layers!) then you're gonna be freezing your buns off.

I don't know about you, but as soon as I feel a chill in the air, all I can think about is soup. Hot, steaming broth with aromatics, toppings, pork, vegetables...nourishing.

I came across this neat little video a few weeks ago and it made me think about all the places in SF that I enjoyed a nice, hot bowl of ramen.

Check this out:


A Culinary Equation :: Episode 1 - Ramen
from Christian Remde on Vimeo.

Makes you want to get a bowl of ramen right now, huh?

Ramen Underground is a snug, little spot in the Financial District in SF. I actually appreciate its size as it seems to keep that beautiful smell of broth that permeates the restaurant. And, every time the door opens, you get a nice woosh of it under your nose.

There usually is a line, but you can write your name on the board and wait for your turn to be sat. Their menu is very simple and perfect. Really. Nothing crazy. Nothing confusing. Just simple, delicious and traditional ramen.

Ramen Underground, SF Image via SF NOODLES.









I decided to get miso broth, pork belly and dumplings. Okay, and extra noodles. I admit it! I don't know exactly where their noodles are from (Do you? Please share!), but they are seriously incredible. They soak the broth perfectly and have the perfect bounce and chew.
  
Ramen Underground, SF Miso broth, pork belly, dumplings. Image: Samantha Elise



So, if you find yourself wanting to try an new ramen spot and you just so happen to be in the Financial District; pop in here. I still have my list of favorites in the Bay Area, but I really feel this one tops them all.







                              I dunno. Maybe I just need to slurp more ramen just to make sure.

Ramen Underground is open Monday - Thursday from 10:30 am to 9:30 pm. Fridays, 10:30 pm to 9:30 pm and on Saturdays at 12:00 pm to 10:00 pm. They are cash only and do not take reservations. They are located at 355 Kearny St. between Bush and Pine in San Francisco. 

No comments:

Post a Comment